Aerie launches initiative to award $400,000 to 20 real-life changemakers who are making a difference in their communities
NEW YORK–(BUSINESS WIRE)–American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. (NYSE: AEO) today announces that Aerie will welcome actor Lana Condor, actor and writer Beanie Feldstein, actor and writer Hari Nef, Tony award winning actor Ali Stroker, sustainability activist Manuela Barón, founder of Smile On Me Dre Thomas, DJ and wellness advocate Tiff McFierce, and scientist and CEO Keiana Cavé as #AerieREAL Role Models. These eight inspiring women will be joined by current Role Models Aly Raisman, Iskra, Brenna Huckaby, Molly Burke and Jenna Kutcher.
#AerieREAL Role Models spread the brand’s mission to love your real self—inside and out. They empower and inspire the Aerie community to be the change they want to see in the world through leadership, advocacy, workshops and philanthropic partnerships. As one of the fastest growing brands in the apparel industry, Aerie is equally committed to creating exceptional merchandise collections for its customers while positively influencing the way women see themselves and treat others.
Through the #AerieREAL Change Initiative that launches today, Aerie and the Role Models are taking action and changing the game. It’s time to get up, get out and get involved. Aerie will award 20 real-life changemakers with $20,000 to help them on their journey in making the world a better place.
“Six years ago, Aerie took the game-changing leap to stop airbrushing its models—which ignited a body positivity movement that has empowered women around the world to let their real selves shine,” commented Jennifer Foyle, Aerie Global Brand President. “We believe everyone has the power to be a changemaker. Together with our incredible Role Models, we cannot wait to award $400,000 to 20 fierce and inspiring members of the #AerieREAL community.”
About the #AerieREAL Role Models:
- Ali Stroker believes in turning limitations into opportunities.
- Aly Raisman encourages others to speak their truth.
- Beanie Feldstein inspires others to tell inclusive stories that help to shift and expand society’s norms.
- Brenna Huckaby challenges others to do the impossible.
- Dre Thomas inspires girls to challenge the status quo and impact the world.
- Hari Nef encourages others to question and oppose the status quo – with empathy!
- Iskra continues to revolutionize the conversation around body confidence.
- Jenna Kutcher fuels female entrepreneurship.
- Keiana Cavé advances technology to improve women’s health.
- Lana Condor helps provide education to young women and advocates for the importance of representation in Hollywood.
- Manuela Barón educates on sustainable practices to show the world how to live with less.
- Molly Burke helps people see all the good.
- Tiff McFierce curates spaces and demonstrates how to practice mindfulness through music, movement and meditation.
About the #AerieREAL Change Initiative
- Beginning January 23, 2020 Aerie will launch an initiative to award $400,000 in grants to support 20 customers who are leading change in their own communities.
- Winners will be announced in fall 2020 and will be featured alongside the 2020 #AerieREAL Role Models to share their personal stories and inspire the Aerie community. Each winner will receive $20,000 to support their platforms of change.
- Big or small, REAL change is what you make it. Aerie and the #AerieREAL Role Models want to hear stories of triumph, adversity, hope and resilience. Customers can share how they are creating REAL change aerie.com/realchange.
- Initiative rules and requirements can be found here for U.S. customers and here for customers in Canada.
- Aerie is a pioneer within the body positivity and inclusivity movement. In 2014 the brand was among the first to stop retouching models and through #AerieREAL pledged to highlight real women in its campaigns.
- In 2016, Aerie announced its first #AerieREAL Role Model, Iskra to champion body positivity and inclusivity.
- In 2018, Aerie launched a revolutionary 360-degree bra shopping experience that creates a positive and supportive shopping environment to help women feel good about their real selves.
- Aerie recognizes there is still work to be done and understands the importance of challenging the stereotypical standards of beauty, which helps give its customers a voice.
- For more information, visit #AerieREAL Life (ARL) and follow along on social @aerie.
Aerie is a lifestyle brand offering intimates, apparel, activewear and swim collections. With the #AerieREAL™ movement, Aerie celebrates its community by advocating for body positivity and the empowerment of all women. Aerie believes in inspiring customers to love their real selves, inside and out. Retouching-free since 2014. Visit www.aerie.com to learn more. Let the Real You Shine®.
About American Eagle Outfitters, Inc.
American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. (NYSE: AEO) is a leading global specialty retailer offering high-quality, on-trend clothing, accessories and personal care products at affordable prices under its American Eagle® and Aerie® brands. Our purpose is to show the world that there’s REAL power in the optimism of youth. The company operates more than 1,000 stores in the United States, Canada, Mexico, China and Hong Kong, and ships to 81 countries worldwide through its websites. American Eagle and Aerie merchandise also is available at more than 200 international locations operated by licensees in 25 countries. For more information, please visit www.aeo-inc.com.